We at Cross Section Media have over 40 years of specialization in the communication industry with a focus on travel, tourism and hospitality sectors. This has been a unique participation in India’s emergence in tourism and travel.
Travel Trade Journalism – Pioneering Initiatives
Ours has been a pioneering journey with numerous firsts –
- Launched India’s first independently produced tourism magazine – Destination India (1975)
- Produced the first text book on Indian tourism (1978) Successful Tourism – Planning and Management – by PN Seth, former Deputy Director General, Department of Tourism, India
- Organized the first industry seminar on Indian tourism, with over 50 captains of Indian industry participation, held at Claridges Hotel, New Delhi. It was inaugurated by then minister of Tourism and Civil Aviation, Shri Raj Bahadur (1976)
- Produced the first ever daily newspapers, onsite locally printed, at a tourism industry conference in Srinagar. At the annual convention of Travel Agents Association of India. (1984)
- Produced India’s first annual sales guide for travel agents overseas, Destination India; Travel Planner, later also on CD in 1985, endorsed for many years by the various tourist offices of Ministry of Tourism, around the world.
- Launched India’s first travel trade tabloid – Travel Trends Today – 1984
- Organized India’s first national and international Buyer-Seller Meet with over 300 foreign buyers, SATTE, that later grew into one of Asia’s biggest tourism exhibitions (1994-2011).
- Among the first to recognize synergy between Cinema and Tourism, partnered with the Film and Television Producers GUILD over 10 editions of CinemaScapes, now called Cinema Tourism Summit, that brought together destination promoters and marketers to meet with the film fraternity.
Honours and Achievements
We have been privileged to be honoured by both industry and government-
- First honoured by President of India, Giani Zail Singh, for Best Produced Colour Print Folder (1977) – Folder on Patiala, produced for Punjab Tourism.
- Honoured by the Government of India for the Most Innovative and Unique Tourism Project ( 1996)
- Honoured by Ministry of Tourism, Government of India for pioneering travel trade journalism in the country. Award given by Minister Jagmohan, then Minister for Tourism and Culture.
- Honoured by Travel Agents Association of India with their Shyam Sunder Poddar Trophy in Bangalore for pioneering new initiatives.
- Honoured by Travel Agents Association of India at their annual convention in London for 25 years of association as a travel trade magazine.
- Awarded by Indian Association of Tour Operators at their annual convention in Agra
About our Founder
Heading the organization since its inception, the founding spirit of our Director, Navin Berry, has been the desire to work passionately and transparently with all sectors of industry, across verticals, and with all associations of industry and government. “We have seen our role essentially as a private catalyst, to forge better information and awareness of issues and options, and to make people and industry come together and work together,” says Berry. The phenomenal success of this event proved the group’s ability to provide the industry a common platform for doing business. His close rapport with industry successfully enabled him to initiate, among other industry platforms, New Delhi Hoteliers Forum, a body of professional 5-star hotel general managers; organize and conduct industry seminars and debates on issues; conduct reality checks at industry ground zero across metro cities in India.
Founders of the first B2B tourism show in India
We conceived the first platform for promoting Destination India among its generating markets, for inbound tourism. It was independently driven, with strong industry support from both government and private sectors. It was the country’s first tourism trade show, a first in South Asia, started in 1994. Over the years, by 2011, the event had hosted over 4500 foreign tour operators from over 50 countries worldwide. An unprecedented achievement for any single organization in the history of Indian tourism, we remain singularly proud for the support we received from organizations such as Air India and over a dozen leading hotels in the capital. In the progress of the event, we partnered some of the most notable institutions in India and overseas. We brought ITB to India, for two years (2010-2011), to support our event. We held the only international conference on South Asia, under the aegis of the UN body for tourism, World Tourism Organization ( UNWTO).
Bharat International Tourism Bazaar
The launch edition of BITB, concluded on a most enthusiastic note, with 6 power conclaves, 260 exhibiting companies meeting 780 buyers, and big networking platforms.
BITB 2016 was inaugurated by Shri Mahesh Sharma, Minister of State (IC) Tourism and Culture, Government of India. Shri Najeeb Jung, Lt Governor, Delhi presided while Ms. Mehbooba Mufti, Chief Minister, Jammu and Kashmir state was the chief guest. Shri Kapil Mishra, Minister of Tourism, Delhi Government was the Guest of Honour.
BITB rolled out its Awards to Iconic Indians who have impacted Global Travel and Tourism. These were Shri PRS Oberoi for hospitality (his son Shri Vikram Oberoi received the award on his behalf); Shri Naresh Goyal for airlines and Shri Sanjay Reddy for airport infrastructure. Shri Rajeev Sethi was awarded for his contribution in promoting Indian heritage while Shri Deep Kalra was recognized for technology. Shri Jose Dominic was awarded for his contribution to experiential tourism and Shri Zubin Karkaria for improving Ease in Travel. ITB and BITB honoured and remembered two Iconic Indians for their support to ITB over the years, the late Capt Krishna Nair and Shri Ram Kohli.
6 Power Conclaves brought some of the best minds in the business. For a first time, these were anchored by six leading associations and leaders in their respective verticals. The Make in India Conclave, another first time for the industry, was supported by DIPP, Ministry of Commerce, Government of India and featured the keynote address by Shri Amitabh Kant, CEO, Niti Aayog. Others who spoke included Shri V K Duggal, former Governor, Manipur who moderated the session and Shri Atul Chuturvedi, JS, DIPP, Government of India. The Make in India Conclave was anchored by IATO, and the session was anchored by Shri Subhash Goyal, immediate past president, IATO.
Among other leaders were Shri Ashwani Lohani, CMD, Air India; Shri Kapil Chopra, President, Oberoi Hotels; Shri Rajeev Menon, COO-Asia Pacific for Marriott Hotels; Ms. Jaya Jaitley of Dastkari Haat; Shri Lakshyaraj of Udaipur; Mr. Tony D’Astolfo, Research Analyst, Phocuswright Inc.; Shri Kapil Kaul, CEO, South Asia, CAPA India;Shri Manav Thadani, Chairman, HVS and others dominated the senior discussion groups.
Messe Berlin made a strong presence at the event. ITB Berlin director, Shri David Ruetz, along with Jean Francois Rika, ITB Corporate Social Responsibility, and, Bruno Walter, ITB Advisory, attended the inaugural show with Chairman of Messe Berlin sharing a video message, welcoming BITB to the ITB family.
We made a triumphant return to B2B trade shows for the industry, with serious tourism focus, bringing senior industry participation and business networking opportunities. The look and feel was truly international and both buyers and sellers expressed strong support to the show, a few were willing to sign for the next five years.
BITB 2017 will be held in New Delhi from 21-23 September 2017.
To know more visit www.bitb.org
Cinema Tourism Summit
A B2B conference and exhibition promoted by the publishers of TourismFirst. Over the years it has emerged as a catalyst to synergize the vastly underutilized resources of the entertainment and tourism industries from the Indian perspective. This event, on one hand, has provided the burgeoning tourism industry to exhibit multi-faceted cities with eye pleasing visuals, state-of-the art infrastructural facilities, tax incentives etc. On the other side of the spectrum, it has given the entertainment industry an opportunity to view these locales as prospective shooting destinations and engage in a tête-à-tête with the representatives of these cities. The 2015 edition of Cinemascapes, now being promoted as Cinema Tourism Summit, saw over 200 producers attend the conference, promoted in association with The Film and Television Producers Guild of India, and ASAP, the leading association of advertising agencies producing advertising films.
The next edition will be held in 2017. Dates to be announced.
TourismFirst is a thought sharing platform, in print, digital and events formats. It embraces the wider picture for tourism in the country, connecting the tourism vertical to developments in national economy, industry, society and culture at large. It underlines the fact that a wide cross section of stakeholders exist outside of hotels, airlines, and travel agents – and brings them into the larger fold of tourism. It believes that the tourism product of India, what is uniquely India, needs to be identified, nurtured, developed and promoted. It seeks to integrate this product into one seamless experience. TourismFirst believes that Tourism links people and countries of the world. It is a passport to peace, prosperity and goodwill among nations. It fosters linkages in culture including arts and cuisines, and also promotes the world of exhibitions and conferences and unique discoveries of lifestyle through events. TourismFirst brings together the concerns of airlines and airports, hotels and resorts, cities and states, countries and people – as part of the larger tourism process.